Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Memories

This is one of my latest projects. So here is the first chapter. Where do I go from here? Who knows. Do you? Everything is subject to change. Be patient with tenses and such. This is a very rough draft that I copied from my Word file. This story could go anywhere.


Chapter One
Memories


I was trying to pull into the Super Wal-Mart (Wally-World is what I like to call it) parking lot when I found myself in a long line of cars trying to do the same thing. Apparently we all wanted to get on the same ride.

So, I sat patiently. I started to remember something I often refer to as my first memory. I call it that because it was the first one I remember.

I was climbing down what seemed to be a grand staircase. I was maybe two or three at the time so naturally anything would seem 'grand'. I remember pushing through the heavy wooden door that led to the front porch. I could hear someone call my name. I had to get to them.

The next thing I recall is a woman with large round glasses and curly hair holding me. I think what I remembered most was my mother’s face as the woman handed me over. The look was anger, but it was the fear that hung in her eyes that still haunts me now. Like something or someone would be lost forever.

I shook it off as the honking from the car behind pulled me quickly out of thought.

“I feel just as impatient, Buddy. Do you hear me honking like an idiot?” I commented rather loudly to myself.

The Suburban two cars a head of me waited for what seemed like forever to get a space closer to the amusement park where we all go to buy groceries and swimming pools. Mr. Suburban made many attempts before finally docking his galactic rambler into place.

“Finally.” I remarked, again to myself, as I pulled into the first available parking space.

Then it came to me. My second memory. I really don’t know if it is my second memory or just the first memory part two. All I know is when I remember the first memory the second is quick to follow.

I remember my mother crying almost hysterically and my father trying to console her. It seemed like he was apologizing to her asking for forgiveness. That’s when I heard her sobs turn into screams of rage.

The next thing I knew I was sitting in the back of a car with my “Going To Grandma’s” suitcase and quilted blanket Nanny made me. I can still feel the fear and confusion I felt all those years ago. That’s when I met him. Magnum P.I.

No. It really wasn’t Tom Selleck, the actor who brought Magnum to life. Huh, in my dreams. He had dark wavy hair and a thick mustache. He wore dark sunglasses like Magnum. Then again, so did every other male in 1980. I always chuckled a little at this part. How I remembered this mystery Magnum.


I didn’t know who he was. I just remember the back door opening and Magnum P.I. handing me my pink wind up teddy bear.

“Everything is going to be ok, hun.” He said tenderly. “Lay down and try to get some sleep.”

The cool breeze of the air-conditioning stirred me back to reality as I entered through the great gates of Wally-World.

“Welcome to Wal-Mart. Would you like a buggy?” Asked the Wal-Mart greeter who was steadying herself with a three-prong cane as she tried to stand.

“Thank you. I’ll get it.” I replied beating the greeter to the cart. I needed to get in and out. Not fill out an incident report. I can see the headlines now, “Wal-Mart Greeter Run Down by Grocery Cart.” I shook my head somewhat both amused and ashamed by my own thoughts.

Now to the task at hand. Where is my list?

I find it interesting how memories can pop in and out without any rhyme or reason. I’ve heard people say that a smell or color can trigger a memory. But what did I see or smell that triggered these memories today, here, now, at Wally-World of all places?

Where is that list?

As I rummage through my purse my phone rings. My "Time is Running Out" ring tone by Muse blares from the outside pocket of my not so trendy 'Mom' purse. I snicker as the
Wal-Mart greeter jumps in reaction to my ring tone.

Yeah, that's right. I still rock.

Making sure I wouldn't be needed for further possible incident reports I answer. "Hell-o".

2 comments:

wilkinson family said...

cute, i like it, what's next? oh yeah and don't put your book on the blog as your agree that whatever is placed on the blog is public domain or domain of blogspot.com.

wilkinson family said...

oookkaaayyy, i finally updated my blog and still have to sew stuff for you so why are you updating yours, huh?
just thought i'd bug you since i can.